[DCPM] autobundle gotchas?

Simon Waters simon at technocool.net
Fri Dec 5 14:14:10 PST 2008

Aaron Trevena wrote:
> 2008/11/13 Simon Waters <simon at technocool.net>:
>> I probably should just turn all the modules into Debian packages, but
>> that requires me to learn stuff as well as working hard....
>
> Did that at avbrief.

Hmm, I use to deal with some aviation stuff at the Met Office many moons
ago.

> There are several things that make it easier - cpan2dist and the cpan
> debian repo.

Looked at that briefly. I assume that the CPAN Debian Repo is dead, as
it always reports the same date in January 2008 for all content.

There is no shortage of tools for converting CPAN to Debs, it is more a
case of fitting my head around what is appropriate to do, and exactly
how painful it is, versus the benefits.

> Once we'd sorted out all our packages it actually made life a lot
> easier, of course setting it up and sorting everything out was not
> much fun.

Main pain is reproducing the correct config, but since we largely only
have test and live, it isn't a huge win for us.

Were you doing it for a large number of target servers, or just to get a
sensibly reproducible build process?

The CPAN Snapshot bundle approach is messy.