[DCPM] Devon/Cornwall Perl Monger Technical Meet - 17th May

Simon Waters simon at technocool.net
Thu May 18 13:42:42 PDT 2006

Aaron Trevena wrote:

> I'd just like to thank everybody who came once more, and ask for
> feedback and suggestions for the next technical or social.
>
> I thought the venue (The Waterfront) was pretty nice, the food was a
> bit pricey but decent and the restaurant is nice too. The selection of
> beers is sufficient. The staff are helpful. I'd like to do something
> there again, but possibly not the same time as the salsa class.

I agree it is a nice place, nice staff. The dance music was a real
problem for me. My concern with using the same place, would be some
other interruption, doors have their place.

> Sorry I didn't manage more talks -- I didn't have time to prepare the
> scheduler talk, and none of the others who volunteered were able to
> make it.
>
> So next time - I'll be making sure I get other speakers, and have time
> to prepare my own talks.
>
> So feedback - any suggestions for next time?

I liked the talk, I appreciate it was a tad 'just in time', but I'd like
to have seen more code, and more detail. For example whilst I knew there
was a "Class::DBI" I haven't used it in anger, so a quick glance at the
model would have helped those less experienced. I now realise I should
have been using it in anger -- but that I guess is why we do these meetings.

> How about having a joint PM/LUG social at The Waterfront next month?

Sounds good to me.