[DCPM] Re: [LUG] Development (this might be long!)

Matthew Browning matthewbrowning at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 01:19:05 PST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:41:38 +0000, Aaron Trevena
<aaron.trevena at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > there is at least one current member hacking things together using
> > > Catalyst at the moment.
> >
> > Catalyst looks scary.
>
> Try Maypole its easier and simpler. Also its worth learning Template
> Toolkit and CDBI before using any of the MVC frameworks as most use
> either TT or Mason and TT is a more general purpose and popular
> system.

[Switched thread from DCLUG]

I would go as far as to say that you have no hope of getting Maypole
to work for you unless you know and have used CDBI.  I may be wrong.

Is Maypole really easier than Catalyst?  I'm not so sure.  Install
Maypole and run the BeerDB example and it doesn't work without you
going through the endless module dependencies and patching them to
behave as documented (or close enough to satisfy you).  Install
Catalyst and the example in Catalyst::Manual::Intro works straight off
*without* an intimate knowledge to CDBI being required.  Now, I know
the examples aren't anything like the same but I can personally invest
a lot more faith in documentation when I can assert that it
corresponds to the software I'm trying to run.

And Maypole has some pure wackiness in it.
Class::DBI::Loader::Relationship?  Congratulations on making
Class::DBI::Loader hairier.  Where is the syntax documented?  I
suspect that the sole reasoning behind that module is to make the demo
more impressive - not a great reason to use it.  I've previously
rambled about my other problems with this on Perlmonks.

You see, when it gets to the point that I'm working through someone
else's code (much of which is undocumented) to get a fairly
straightforward web app working I find myself wondering what value I'm
actually getting out of it:  suppose a set of ``normal'' CDBI modules
incorporating a bit of business logic and a set of nice looking TT
templates done by your Dreamweaver monkey - what exactly are you
missing that Maypole provides but can't be put together more simply
using CGI::App and its associated plugins or, more recently,
CGI::Prototype?  CRUD methods?  I think I've got that covered, to be
honest.

Bit of a ramble.  I'm still making my mind up about all this and have
only recently been playing with Catalyst so my opinions will probably
change over time.

MB