[DCPM] [nclark@fotango.com: Re: progress]

Steve Marvell steve at devon-it.co.uk
Mon Jul 11 05:37:23 PDT 2005

----- Forwarded message from Nicholas Clark <nclark at fotango.com> -----

Cc: "James A. Duncan" <jduncan at fotango.com>
From: Nicholas Clark <nclark at fotango.com>
Subject: Re: progress
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:28:13 +0100
To: Steve Marvell <steve at devon-it.co.uk>

On 11 Jul 2005, at 12:42, James A. Duncan wrote:
>Begin forwarded message:
>>I run one of the Perl Mongers User groups and have been asked if I can
>>find out a little more about the progress of Perl 5.10/Ponie. I have
>>seen the project plan on you site and was wondering if you had a
>>similar, progress page which showed a few dates.

Ponie isn't going to be "Perl 5.10". It's more likely to be an
independent release, and there may well be a 5.12 series of Perl
releases based on the existing "classic" Perl 5 codebase after Ponie is
first released.

As to Perl 5.10, the best roadmap is probably Rafael's slides, which
are online at

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~rgarciasuarez/slides/perl510/
perl510.html

Rafael was intending to mark progress in terms of features completed,
rather than specific dates.

The most visible sign of progress is that there was a ponie develpoment
snapshot released two weeks ago:

  http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.ponie.dev/436

the details of what's new are in the readme:

  http://svn.perl.org/ponie/trunk/README

I have submitted the story to use.perl, but it's awaiting editor
approval. (as is the parrot release announcement from 2 weeks ago, and
the parrot announcement from 6 weeks ago. You may draw your own
conclusions about the efficiency of the use.perl story submission
process - see http://use.perl.org/submit.pl?op=list for the pending
stories)

As to ponie dates, do you mean dates on when the various tasks were
completed? If so, we don't, but the roadmap is being updated in
subversion as and when the subtasks are completed, or at least
sufficiently partly complete to allow progress to the next:

  http://svn.perl.org/ponie/trunk/Roadmap

The trouble with Ponie in general is that because it's mostly a big,
progressive refactoring exercise it keeps throwing up unexpected
problems that need to be investigated and solved prior to completing a
task. Quite a few of the problems so far have been in the perl 5 core
code, and have been solved there first, before being merged over as a
block. It's also tricky to declare any task as "finished", because most
of them aren't, in the sense of being completed. Most need revisiting
once other parts progress far enough, so I don't consider them
finished, so I don't make grand sweeping pronouncements to that effect.
Also I feel that given all the twists and turns, attempting to keep the
roadmap/tasklist updated on a daily basis would eat up more time than
the actual development work.

I attempt to keep the commit messages both short and informative -
possible the best way of tracking progress is by watching the commit
list:

  http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.ponie.changes

Nicholas Clark

----- End forwarded message -----