DCPM: Timeouts in modules

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sun Nov 30 07:22:53 CST 2003

If a module doesn't use a default timeout on sockets that are created
internally - within another module perhaps two further down the chain - is
there a way for Perl to enforce a timeout of 5 seconds?

I'm verifying a list of 1100 servers and so far the majority simply don't
respond (to anything). The script just hangs around waiting for a reply that
will never come. I've left some for >30 minutes.

It makes me think that there's something in how Perl itself is configured as I
do get timeout error messages from the webhost when a similar delay occurs on
the site, but not locally on Mandrake 9.1

In PHP there's an easy config setting that changes the timeout per script or
per installation. Is there anything like that in Perl? (That doesn't require
me to re-install / re-compile Perl itself!)

I can't use Ping to verify in advance as a lot of the servers don't respond to
ping requests - even when they are working normally.

--

Neil Williams