DCPM: RE: quest for comments

Steve Marvell steve at fysh.org
Thu May 30 07:10:36 CDT 2002

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 09:37:20AM +0100, Matthew Browning wrote:

> Right.  I won`t bore the world by posting about this again until I`ve
> sorted out some groovy functionality but I have taken on board the
> comments received so far and made some alterations.

OK, I've got some views.

It looks a bit of a news and links site. Which, of course, it is, in a
sense. I wonder about trying to keep up with the news which is
broadcast by "use perl;" etc. So, I think we should reserve the news to
be about us, our site, and our meetings, etc. So, it might be worh not
emphasising it so much in the middle and have a "local @users;" section
or something. I think we should emphasise that which the masses will
want to see in the middle. Things like the book reviews, perls (sic) of
wisdom, etc.

I also thing the icon links, like "use perl;" should go with link. I
also think the standards and "powered by perl", etc, should all be
along the bottom. If they are not, they make for a very long page.

> Also introduced the table kludge to make Netscape happy.

Which is never going to be :)

> The picture in the right hand column was done by Mrs B. last night when
> I was making tea :)

The map is a nice style, very nice. It is, however, a map of D&C, so
it's not telling people where we are. Or is it to tell _us_ where our
individuals are. If it is, the camels might get in the way.

> Content is obviously the issue here:  if I understand correctly there
> are six people reading this (one of whom is me).  I reckon a good start
> would be if everyone could submit just one (more if you like) item for
> inclusion in, say, the next couple of weeks.  That would be a pretty
> good starting point, no?

I reckon.

I want book reviews in please.

Sorry if that sounded all very critical.

Steve