DCPM: RE: quest for comments

Matthew Browning M.Browning at plymouth.ac.uk
Wed May 29 06:14:50 CDT 2002

| Pleaure. I think it's looking good. Box borders might be a bit thick,
| but the rest is pleasure.

I`ve come to that conclusion about the borders also, I`ll adapt the
stylesheet.

| I couldn't get it to render properly using any of:
|
| Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux 2.2.18 i686; en-GB; m18)
| Gecko/20010131 Netscape6/6.01

Interesting.  I am aware that there are problems (first try and all
that) but I thought NS6 would probably be all right.  I`ll get a copy
and have a look.

| Lynx, in fact, complained it was bad html. I still have the trace if
| you want it. It was to do with select not being in a form? You put on
| a W3C pleasure icon; did you check it?

Does the same thing here.  The html is spot on - click on the icon for
the W3C validator output.  I would not claim it was valid had I not
checked it (XHTML Strict 1.0).  The CSS also passes and the web
usability guidelines, as I interpret them, are observed where
applicable.

I have faced this kind of problem before and I can deal with it -
typically I tend to end up with a bunch of nested tables to allow NS4
users access but the markup looks like cack after that :(

I might take the whole W3 thing a bit too seriously but I think it is
important to set an example by providing valid markup rather than a
bunch of optimisations for extensions.

| I reckon I'll just make it a user/password page for anyone who wants
| to. And yes, a text file will do nicely. Where will this news be
| sourced from?

Open to suggestions (hint to anyone who is awake).  My original thought
was that it wouldn`t show news in the Slashdot sense of the word but
news relevant to the site, example:

/**********************************************************************\
*
*
*	29 May 2002
*
*
*
*	I have just done a review of something. [Here] is a link to it.
*
*
*
*	MB
*
*
*

Can we manage user access to an `add news' page just by dropping an
.htaccess into the folder specifying the file in question and `require
valid user'?

MB