DCPM: RE: quest for comments

Steve Marvell steve at fysh.org
Wed May 29 05:40:53 CDT 2002

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 09:15:21AM +0100, Matthew Browning wrote:
> Good morning all.
>
> Following on from what we were discussing last week (web site) I did a
> bit of tinkering yesterday evening and have knocked up a very basic
> approximation of how I see this looking.
>
> It`s not very exciting yet and there is no content but hey:
>
> http://www.matthewbrowning.uklinux.net/

> I am *not* an artist but I know a guy who is and has promised to dress
> up the top a bit.

Pleaure. I think it's looking good. Box borders might be a bit thick,
but the rest is pleasure.

I suppsoe the site stucture wil emerge when we write some stuff.

> 1. Since it is a veritable CSS-fest you can more or less forget about it
> in Netscape 4.x.  I have tried this out in Mozilla and IE and it looks
> fine.  W3C `Strict' standards are complied to but there is obviously
> some work to do here.  Haven`t tried Opera, haven`t even got the KDE
> one.

I couldn't get it to render properly using any of:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux 2.2.18 i686; en-GB; m18) Gecko/20010131 Netscape6/6.01

Opera 6.0 Technology Preview 3

Netscape Communicator 4.76

or Lynx

Lynx, in fact, complained it was bad html. I still have the trace if
you want it. It was to do with select not being in a form? You put on
a W3C pleasure icon; did you check it?

> 2. Unoriginal as it may be, I visualise `latest news' ticking by the
> middle column which can be added to by a chosen person (Steve).  In
> terms of storage, this might as well just be read from a text file I
> reckon - anyone?

I reckon I'll just make it a user/password page for anyone who wants
to. And yes, a text file will do nicely. Where will this news be
sourced from?

Steve