DCPM: perl bounced

Matthew Browning M.Browning at plymouth.ac.uk
Tue May 21 02:50:12 CDT 2002

| Me too, or perldoc -f for a quick ref to a function.
|
| I tend to buy perl books for technique, rather than reference, these
| days. Perl in a Nutshell is cack, as a rule. I understant Programming
| Perl 3 has a good explanation of how the regexps are processed, which
| is a good thing.

Yeah, that is the case - we have a copy of Camel 3 (since Camel 2 went
the same way as all my best CDs).  It is not a book for beginners, mind.
An associate of mine has made the perfectly valid point that Programming
Perl rather assumes you already know how to Program Perl.  It is quite
readable, however, and contains a good reference at the back.  I reckon
there is an ORA book called `Mastering Regular Expressions' although
I`ve never seen it in the bookshop.

To follow the thread, personally I prefer to look stuff up in a book
than man or perldoc etc, must be living in the dark ages still.

MB