[Detroit-pm] What up, brudder?

Bill Hess bhess at techrg.com
Wed Dec 9 07:41:07 PST 2009

Howdy All - I had to write up some info on my Sharepoint interaction
with Perl for my customer - so thought this might come in handy for some
of you as well...

Please let me know if you have any questions - Thanks...

Bill Hess
Technology Resource Group

Office:  248.546.6900 x12
Fax:     248.546.7310
Mobile: 248.703.1196

Here is some info on using CURL (http://curl.haxx.se/) to upload files
to a SP Document Library.  CURL is a command line tool that supports a
bunch of file transfer protocols - namely HTTP/HTTPS in this case.   The
reason this works is because SP supports WebDAV  by default:

http://www.webdav.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebDAV

Microsoft calls WebDAV - "Web Folders" - which you may have heard of
before...

Using CURL is simple once you have a copy of it - it is included with
all Linux distros that I know of - we are using CentOS 5.3 - which is
really Redhat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5.3
There are pre-built versions of CURL on http://curl.haxx.se/ for pretty
much any OS you can think of...

curl --ntlm -u DOMAIN/USERID:PASSWORD -T FILE
https://sharepoint_server_hostname/sites/it_sharepoint/demo/M1%20Test%20%20Crimp%20Spec/

    * --ntlm tells CURL to use MS authentication
    * DOMAIN/USER:PASSWORD is the MS user to use to login to SP
      Typically on Windows you would use a backslash \ - but on the UNIX
      cmd line this is the escape char - so we use the front slash /
      -   not sure which to use if running on CURL on Windows - but you
      have a 50/50 shot to get it right...
    * FILE is the path/name of the local file you want to upload
    * And the URL is the SP URL - you can get this by just going to the
      SP site in your web browser and copy/paste the URL - note the %20
      is used for each single spaces.
          o Actually - the first test site I created I named "M1 Test -
            Crimp Spec" and SP decided to not use the '-' in the URL but
            kept each space on either side of the '-'.   So if you have
            a SP site that has wacky chars in it - pay close attention
            to the URL...
          o I also figured out if the SP site is renamed - its URL stays
            the same - so if I renamed my site to "Purple Brick"    the
            URL will stay the same...
          o IMPORTANT - also note the last front slash '/'    - I pulled
            my hair out for a few hours before I got lucky and tried it
            with this and it worked.   I have also seen this trailing
            front slash issue with other WebDAV servers that I have
            worked with in the past...

To see the SOAP methods available to you - you should be able to use
your web browser by entering an equivalent URL for your SP site:

https://your_sharepoint_host/sites/demo/_vti_bin/Lists.asmx

This will show you the Methods to use working with SP Lists

The attached Perl programs are:

    * soap21.pl - Walk thru a SP site and dump pretty much everything we
      can get - I used this as a test/reverse engr/debugging early on...
    * soap4.pl - Updates some attrs on a single item
          o Need to construct some simple XML which is passed in the
            SOAP call - the XML says which attrs to change and the new
            values to use
    * soap5.pl - Query a list for an Item
          o Need to construct XML for the Query
    * soap6.pl - Query for a SP subfolder