[Detroit-pm] 3 things - Regex a good topic

Wolfger wolfger at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 10:55:17 PDT 2007

Allen, your reply went only to me, not to the list. I notice this is
the list default (just as it was for a long time on the Ubuntu
Michigan LoCo list), and I think that makes for a really poor group
dynamic. I know this group is focused on the monthly real-space
meetings, but I think a more active mailing list (which would be
facilitated by the default reply going to the list and not the
individual) might help give folks more of a sense of being part of a
group, rather than just a collection of people who go to see
presentations together once a month. :-)

On 10/18/07, Allen Jasewicz <A.Jasewicz at us.yazaki.com> wrote:
> I have been an infrequent attendee and looking for something to bring me
> back in. I script in ksh, awk and sed in a UNIX environment and have
> found it difficult to make the jump to Perl.  This difficulty is mostly
> centered around handling output from system and application commands
> when called from within a Perl program.  I think that regex and how to
> manipulate text output from system calls would be a great topic.

Perfect, then. My last project was just that... a Perl script that did
most of the actual work via executing shell commands, and then
regexing the results.

> Please feel free to contact me if you need an example of why a resistive
> system scripter remains that way.

I'd be happy to look at one of your examples, and see if I can't
change your mind about Perl (which, by the way, a business associate
of mine refers to as "Sed & Awk on steroids").

--
Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/