[Detroit-pm] Perl 20th birthday

Jim McQuillan jam at McQuil.com
Sat Apr 28 15:05:21 PDT 2007

Hey guys, I happened to be reading the Perl page on wikipedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perl), and it mentions that Perl 1.0 was
released to the comp.sources.misc newsgroup on Dec 18th, 1987.  That got
me thinking about how this year, Perl turns 20.  Upon a closer look, I
see that Dec 18th is the 3rd tuesday of the month, which means it
coincides with the December Detroit-pm meeting.

It might be fun to plan ahead for a special meeting.  This kind of early
planning can draw more people into the group, which I think is what we'd
all like to see.  We've done things like this for MUG.org, and we've
seen pretty nice increases in attendance that trickles into subsequent
meetings.

I think someone mentioned getting one of the Perl notables in sometime
in the future.  Maybe December would be a good time to shoot for.

Anybody else have ideas?

I'm mostly mentioning this, because if I don't tell someone about it,
I'll probably forget about it.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org