[Dahut-pm] YAPC 2011 Bid

Chris Thompson dahut at cthompson.com
Mon Mar 1 08:52:10 PST 2010

I wonder if we should also be looking at cities that may have a PM,
but who would not be able to pull a conference off by themselves.

After watching two weeks of Olympics Vancouver seems like a good idea.

Honestly, if not for the fact that it would most likely be way too
expensive, YAPC::VegasBaby would turn us into nerd heroes.

Is there a set of expectations like how many hotel rooms, how much
conference space, how much is reasonable to expect to have to spend?
It's sort of hard to think in terms of cost when I don't know what
that cost would be.

-C

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 12:13 AM, Michael Nachbaur <mike at nachbaur.com> wrote:
> We also have a fairly somewhat-active Van.pm group here in, well, Vancouver.  Scott/konobi is putting together something for a perl workshop in a few months here in 2010, so perhaps we can reuse the same venue for a YAPC in the following year.  Plus, Vancouver is awesome...
>
> On 2010-02-26, at 3:38 PM, Chris Prather wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Chris Prather <perigrin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> So,
>>>
>>> Minneapolis was as far as I could tell the only city to have a serious
>>> bid for the 2011 YAPC::NA. They posted today that they can't put
>>> together a serious bid because of work related time constraints.
>>>
>>> Talking with mst I thought it might be fun for Dahut.pm to put
>>> together a bid for YAPC::NA. Since we're a non-geographical group we
>>> can pick any city we'd like to visit. The constraint being it has to
>>> be in North America, Europe is way to competitive for their bids and
>>> we're lazy. Also it would better to pick a city without an active Perl
>>> Monger group so we don't step on any toes.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Suggestions have come forth on irc.perl.org/#axkit-dahut
>>
>> * Danbury CT
>> * Ithaca NY
>> * Gatlinburg TN
>> * Ashville NC
>> * Lexington / Lousiville KY
>>
>> -Chris

Chris Thompson - Raconteur, Iconoclast, Secret Agent