[Dahut-pm] Fwd: Announcing O'Reilly Answers - A useful site that's, well, a different kind of animal

Chris Prather perigrin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 07:59:27 PST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Marsee Henon <marsee at oreilly.com>
Date: Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 10:04 AM
Subject: Announcing O'Reilly Answers - A useful site that's, well, a
different kind of animal
To: bender at prather.org

 If you would like to view this information in your browser, click
here<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zuttkem8pfii7fl546ti4eof1pspmne316t7dhu8>
.
 [image: O'Reilly]<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zfu8at6m44oock9h9fnsckgq1t3ul51vmrodrpd8>
this announcement<http://post.oreilly.com/f2f/9z1zho7s81tvcourp224noesql8ce1em1bgoshpbluo>

Hi,

Can you share this announcement with anyone you think will be interested?

Thanks!

Announcing O'Reilly Answers A useful site that's, well, a different kind of
animal

We're launching the beta of O'Reilly
Answers<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zfi53qdq1tsmqf89t9br6gekqtmn7gtbhj54jbno>,
and I'm inviting you to be part of it. In brief, O'Reilly Answers is a
community site for sharing knowledge, asking questions, and providing
answers that brings together our customers, authors, editors, conference
speakers, and Foo (Friends of O'Reilly).

*Why Answers, and why now?*
O'Reilly is at the center of an amazing exchange of knowledge sharing and
idea generation. We've created the usual means of facilitating communication
between customers, O'Reilly folks, and the outside experts we call "alpha
geeks" who contribute to O'Reilly books, conferences, and websites. We can
connect through reader reviews, errata submissions, book forums, blog
comments, Get Satisfaction, our customer service department, and more. But
too much of this conversation is siloed, and not enough is public (e.g.,
discussions on our internal mailing list for editors, or personal responses
to customer questions). O'Reilly Answers will be the place where much of
that communication happens from this point forward.

*Why participate?*
The lofty reason: Like O'Reilly, you want to "change the world by spreading
the knowledge of innovators." That's our mission, and we've been fortunate
enough to build a community of passionate, committed people who love to
learn and share their knowledge as they work towards a better world for us
all.

The "nice, but what's in it for me" reasons: reputation, recognition, and
rewards.

*Get Recognized:* "Find interesting people" is a core activity at O'Reilly,
and an important component of our success. We see Answers as an important
way to discover and connect with our next authors, online instructors,
videographers, and speakers.

*Build Your Reputation:* You've learned a lot, why not get credit for all
that knowledge? As your submissions to Answers are voted up, your personal
reputation on the site increases. At launch, your reputation will be based
solely on your participation in O'Reilly Answers. Soon, we're expanding
across oreilly.com, so the book errata and book reviews you've submitted,
books you've registered, and conferences you've attended, will add
reputation points. You'll also earn
badges<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1znjdbjvlj6j477pirmdicvfpt9oqbr1e005jq5l0>to
mark accomplishments and milestones.

*Earn Rewards:* Glory is great, but discounts and deals are nice, too. We
want to reward your contributions to the O'Reilly community. Shortly we'll
have a point-based system in place that you can redeem for books, training,
courses, and conferences. Details soon, but in the meantime, any actions you
take now will count towards your total points.

*This is just v.1:* The best part of any project on the web is watching it
take on a life of its own. With that in mind, we're looking forward to
*your* suggestions about where O'Reilly Answers should go, what features
should be added, and what benefits and rewards we can offer all of you.

I'd like to acknowledge the projects that have proceeded Answers and
inspired us, such as SitePoint Forums (we distribute their books),
StackOverflow, Yahoo! Answers, Knol, and many others. They're great
resources, and we think the O'Reilly community can create a useful site
that's, well, a different kind of animal.

One last thing: O'Reilly
Answers<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zf7l4h2vad04dl6suvlulcuvmg8221htmuf0ckh8>is
in beta and you may encounter bugs. We're still working on many
improvements to the site, such as feeds for each tag, but would love to hear
your suggestions for features and improvements. Please send any
suggestions/questions/bug reports to answers at oreilly.com.

Until next time--
Marsee Henon
   [image: Spreading the knowledge of
innovators]<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zrucs2aokfpcc8ppp9ashv1rj6b95nkc1pplm8j0>[image:
oreilly.com]<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zalo6bfrpq1jl02jgjhook465a267qaqg9b849h8>
   You
are receiving this email because you are a User Group contact with O'Reilly
Media. Forward this
announcement<http://post.oreilly.com/f2f/9z1zho7s81tvcourp224noesql8ce1em1bgoshpbluo>.
If you would like to stop receiving these newsletters or announcements from
O'Reilly, send an email to marsee at oreilly.com.

O'Reilly Media, Inc. 1005 Gravenstein Highway North, Sebastopol, CA 95472
(707) 827-7000