[Dahut-pm] Disk swap strategy

Robin Berjon robin at berjon.com
Thu Feb 12 09:34:40 PST 2009

Hi,

I'm approaching a bit of a fix. My Air's HDD has started to make the
occasional clicking noise, and will beep once in a while. I'm pretty
sure that means it's gonna die. I have a backup that's at most 15
minutes behind, and I'm going to make at least another one. My problem
is that Apple needs the laptop for 7-10 days to fix it, and I wonder
what I should do in the meantime. Since I've never been through this
before, I was thinking of prodding youse fine folks.

There's an MBP that I don't use much. I was thinking I could wipe it
and somehow use Time Machine to transfer the Air's "soul" in there
(how that works exactly I'm not sure since that laptop doesn't have
Time Machine and I'm not sure what I did with the install DVDs, but
we'll see about that later). I could work on it for a while and do the
reverse translation later. Does that sound sensible? Any pitfalls I
should be worried about? Any better suggestions? Based on what I see
online I think I've got a few days before my HDD goes batshit so I can
plan this, and I'd like to use the warning time to be ready.

DAHUUUUT!!!

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/