[Dahut-pm] Fwd: Decentralized versioning system at W3C

Michael Nachbaur mike at nachbaur.com
Wed Dec 9 09:20:39 PST 2009

On 9-Dec-09, at 9:07 AM, Chris Prather wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 3:53 AM, Robin Berjon <robin at berjon.com> wrote:
>> DAHUT!
>
> DAAAAHHUUUUTTTT!

DAAAHUUUUTT!!

>>> The main two contenders seems to be Git and Mercurial; Git seems
>>> to a
>>> growing number of tools, and more advanced features; Mercurial
>>> seems to
>>> be easier to use, and possibly easier to set up on a larger number
>>> of
>>> platforms.
>
> I'm  biased  because I don't really know Hg, but Git has been making
> *huge* strides in becoming much more user friendly.
>
> In addition adding commands to Git is trivial (just name a script
> `git-foo` in your path, and `git foo` becomes available), it's
> *incredibly* fast, and unlike `Moe` I like it's branching better than
> any other system I've worked with, specifically I actually *branch*
> now where as with sv[kn] I've found nothing but pain there.

I second this.  There's been quite a lot of adoption of Git out there,
particularly in the OSS community, but I find its branching scheme
"Just Works".  I'm working on a decentralized project with around 50
ass-hat developers, and merging and branching their changes is far
easier than any VCS I've ever used.

Git++