[Dahut-pm] De Circula Rerum, and other musings about existence

Robin Berjon robin at berjon.com
Tue Aug 12 02:49:25 PDT 2008

On Aug 8, 2008, at 18:21 , Chris Prather wrote:
> The Powers that Be in the Perl Monger Support team suggest that we
> look like a dead group. We havnen't had a post to the mailing list
> since 2007 (well apparently I've posted but I've been alone), and
> our wiki the day they went to look at it was covered in Spam (bad
> spammers!). Their argument is "If you're not a group of people who
> talk about Perl ... why are you a Perl Monger Group?"

Now, now, that's just horse bollocks on a lollipop stick*.

We might not use email or the wiki much (though we do, to some
extent), but that's mostly because email is so 1972 and wikis were
always an evil idea anyway. As others have mentioned, we communicate a
lot through IRC, but also through the many structures we have secretly
claimed as our own, such as london.pm, paris.pm, and several others,
the eGov IG, and a fair share of the world's shadier dives.

Our existence is made obvious by three Acme distros (Acme::Dahut,
Acme::Dahut::Call, and Acme::Lingua::NIGERIAN). We have a CPAN ID
which can be used for collective releases, DAHUT (granted it hasn't
been used much recently as Perl XML development has cooled off as lot
since stuff pretty much works). Also, we are decreed normatively to
exist by multiple W3C specifications: http://www.w3.org/TR/rex/, http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/text.html
, http://www.w3.org/TR/powder-use-cases/; which is another way of
saying that removing us breaks the Web. Our fearless leader Bender
runs a lot of irc.perl.org channels.

All this to say that you may have travelled a path of blindness all
these years, but we have been around since before time was time, the
just-out-of-earshot whisper deep in the circular fabric of reality. On
top of that we buy beer, we're sexy, and we're funny. Besides beer, we
also have special powers. Kjetil for instance is a world record holder
in firewalking. Kip has the ability to make the mix of two alcohol
parts greater than their sum. I also make a mean cheesecake. There are
many others but if we wanted everyone to know we'd have put it on the
wiki in the first place.

Anyway, we're a group. In fact, we're probably the coolest group. Join
us, and together we can rule the galaxy as donkeys do.

* I mention this also because horse bollocks on a lollipop stick is a
lot what an alpine delicacy known as "amourettes de dahut" looks like.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/