[Dahut-pm] Regarding Dahut.pm

Kip Hampton khampton at totalcinema.com
Mon Aug 11 13:04:52 PDT 2008

Hi Jay.

I heard over the weekend that there was a plan afoot to shut down the
Dahut.pm Perl Mongers group. I'm writing in opposition to that plan to
pull the plug.

Its true that, unlike, say, Boston.pm or Paris.pm, the Dahut group is
"virtual". Members are scattered all over the globe and, as a practical
matter, we don't do some of the things that "regular" .pms do (no
monthly technical or social meetings, no local community outreach to
other technical or service organizations, etc.). Despite our scattershot
geographical distribution, however, the Dahuts fit every other criterion
  of an active and activist Perl community: we coordinate on maintaining
and developing modules for CPAN, we work together on both the topics and
content of the books, presentations, and other educational materials
that we present to the community at large, and, perhaps most
importantly, we're always the funnest table at the bar during YAPC and
OSCON conferences.

It is also true that our membership is small and that our .pm mailing
list and wiki have fallen into disuse. Mostly, we're victims of our own
success. While most members chat with one another daily on IRC, the
reality is that the each member of the original Dahut core has gone on
to distinguish themselves both as Perl hackers and in the broader
technical world and we simply don't have the time to kick things around
that we used to. These days, we're more likely to pair off on specific
projects (or get one another hired in as an issue expert) than we are to
go after more generic projects as group.

I ask you to please reconsider your decision to pull the plug on
Dahut.pm. We may be a pack of irreverent absurdists but the Dahuts are
no joke. As for the mailing list and wiki, I'm willing to personally
commit time to make sure that the yard stays mowed and the papers don't
pile up on the front steps.

Thanks for your consideration,
Kip Hampton, Dahut.pm member in good standing.

ps: I should note that, as a group, the Dahuts are not above naked
bribery and/or extortion. This means that, should your decision go our
way, you can expect to drink for free at least one night at the next
conf you attend with a significant Dahut contingent and that you can
trust our entire membership to state publicly that any rumors relating
to your special fondness for woodchucks are categorically not true and
anyway it was just that once and you said you were sorry.