[Dahut-pm] Digital Humanities

James Smith jgsmith at tamu.edu
Thu Nov 1 14:46:33 PDT 2007

On Oct 29, 2007, at 6:53 PM, Chris Prather wrote:

> On Oct 29, 2007, at 10:45 a, James Smith wrote:
>
> > creating/
> > running workshops
>
> Does this mean you're responsible for setting up Dahutcon::NA?
>
> ::grin::

Very likely. :-)

The College is interested in bringing together the digital humanities
and open source communities, possibly in a hybrid conference that
would bring together the best of academic and open source
conferences.  This conference would likely be a regional event (for a
sufficiently large region) at Texas A&M University in College Station,
Texas.

What would we discuss at such a conference?  How would it be
structured?  We're looking for suggestions.  The following are a few
ideas that might help get the creativity flowing.

Scaling is one of the problems facing the humanities.  Small projects
can easily be done by hand or with some help from a computer, but
large projects that could benefit most from computation are difficult
because of the amount of data entry and processing required.  Google
is an example of a company that has managed to find 90% solutions in
several areas that otherwise would seem impossible (e.g., PageRank).
The humanities especially need ways to manage data, digitization, and
semantics that scale better.  Incremental improvement and enlargement
of a data set should require decreasing amounts of human effort.  Data-
based projects developed in the digital humanities should have an
innate ability to learn (e.g., some of the document classification
modules on CPAN).

Another driving force is the idea that "open source is the literature
of computer science."  We need to develop a critical tradition of code
review: what makes beautiful code; how well does code communicate its
intention to the reader (maintainer or student or computer)?  How can
we make tests part of the documentation?  How about the code as
document?  The open source community is working some in this direction
already (e.g., http://beautifulcode.oreillynet.com/ or Perl Best
Practices), but this opens up ways to be rigorous without using the
straitjackets of syntax and IDEs.

We envision a mix of technical and academic talks interspersed with
keynotes and break out sessions.

Quite a few of you are working in areas that could have an impact on
the digital humanities or have interesting and provocative takes on
the issues facing the field.

Any ideas? Anything you would want if you attend?  Thoughts in
general?  We're completely open to suggestions on all aspects of this.
--
James Smith <jgsmith at tamu.edu>
Texas A&M University, College of Liberal Arts