[Dahut-pm] 30th Birthday Party - 15/03/2007 - Paris

Robin Berjon robin at berjon.com
Sun Mar 11 11:39:26 PDT 2007

Dear all,

as you know this fateful year I am hitting the big 30. And as you
also know, in a dimensional arrangement in which time is
traditionally considered to flow in a single direction, this sort of
event only happens once. Now, as you no doubt know as well, this is
not the only event to only occur once in a lifetime — indeed there
are many other such occurrences, arbitrary examples of which include
licking a dead boar's face in Enschede, being five times 2017 days
old, watching the Eurovision on MDMA spiked tequila, or betting that
you can do the moonwalk in moonboots while listening to ABBA's _The
Winner Takes It All_ on a ferry from Trondheim to Å.

Yet, yielding to the bourgeois convenience and heteronormative drone
of tradition, I have decided to make this unique moment singular by
organising an extremely unusual type of event: on the evening of
Thursday March 15th 2007, starting at around 1900, a number of us
will gather in bars and consume large amounts of alcohol.

Since 30 is three decades, the reasoning goes that one would require
three bars in which to gather.

The primary location is:

   Les Jeux de Pom
   123 boulevard de Ménilmontant 75011 Paris (France)

The secondary location is:

   Le Lou Pascalou
   rue des Panoyaux 75020 Paris (France)

And the third location, to which people should go if we manage to
fill the two previous ones, is:

   Le Saint-Sauveur
   rue des Panoyaux 75020 Paris (France)

At this point you may be wondering how we're going to fill three
bars, which may not be the biggest that Paris has to offer but that
can still accommodate quite a few. The idea is this: bring everyone.
If I've had a drink with them, I want to have another on that night.
If I've shaken their hand but not had a drink, well it's about time
we had one together. If we've never met, heck that's the night on
which to get acquainted. Basically, if it's still warm, it's not only
welcome but in fact invited. If you come, don't bring presents —
bring people. Likewise, if you're not coming, don't send presents —
send people, whether I know them or not they'll be given drinks.
Thirty years isn't very long at all, but it's made from encounters of
all kinds with all manners of people. I'm thinking it would be fun to
have a big bunch of those off their brains on White Russians there.

I know that most if not all of you won't be able to make it, and some
of you will be celebrating a similar event elsewhere. But hey, if you
know someone stranded in Paris, send them, and next time we meet
we'll catch up on the drinking :)

All three bars are within a tiny trot of one another, I'll be
shuttling from one to the next about every hour. After 2am, I have no
clue what may befall those who are still conscious and haven't
defected to the last metro. But I'm sure we'll come up with something.

Youthfully your,

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/