[Dahut-pm] Walking With Dahuts

Chris Prather chris at prather.org
Wed Jul 12 09:21:44 PDT 2006

On Jul 12, 2006, at 10:03 AM, Geoffrey Young wrote:

> Kip Hampton wrote:
>> DAAAHUUUT!!!
>
> dahut!

DAHUT!

>> Consider the Dahuts. We have among us people from a pretty wide
>> variety
>> of backgrounds with many different interests-- stargazers,
>> philosophers,
>> writers, etc.--  yet, for the most part our dreams are deferred year
>> after year as we devote the balance of our working time to the
>> geekery
>> that pays the bills.
>
> I recently took solice in this
>
>   http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.07/genius.html

Geoff that is an excellent article. And it has provided much solace
here too.

>> Are you really happy with what you're doing? Not just interested, or
>> thankful to be in a position to pay the bills mostly on time, but
>> fulfilled? Is that enough? Are you doing what you always thought you
>> were "meant" to do? Is that question even meaningful anymore?

I'm not satisfied no, but then I'm beginning to wonder if that
dissatisfaction is part of me rather than part of the role I'm in.
Going to the Wired.com article I seem to approach life more as an
experimentalist ... never really getting projects done ... not really
understanding where I'm heading ... just researching in a general
direction that interests me always dissatisfied with the current work
because it's not the perfection I am seeking. Hopefully I will
eventually be a Mark Twain rather than a Fitzgerald past his prime
(despite my current location, though they did share the same river).

>> Are you on course? If not, can you change it? What would it cost
>> you to
>> put your dreams to the test? Are you willing to pay that price?
>
> personally, I find that most of the rest of my life is more imporant
> than my dreams...

The joys of children and families. They tend to seem more important
than self actualization. I've seen what poor decisions and chasing
dreams can bring to my family ... and I'd rather stay here and work a
bit longer for now. I have the luxury of time though, eventually
Katie will be off on her own and Jamie and I can focus on our own
dreams again.

>> Inquiring minds want to know...
>> -kip
>
> hang in there kip.  you rock!