[Dahut-pm] Walking With Dahuts

Geoffrey Young geoff at modperlcookbook.org
Wed Jul 12 08:03:52 PDT 2006

Kip Hampton wrote:
> DAAAHUUUT!!!

dahut!

> You know, having to make a living sucks.

indeed.

> Consider the Dahuts. We have among us people from a pretty wide variety
> of backgrounds with many different interests-- stargazers, philosophers,
> writers, etc.--  yet, for the most part our dreams are deferred year
> after year as we devote the balance of our working time to the geekery
> that pays the bills.

I recently took solice in this

  http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.07/genius.html

> Are you really happy with what you're doing? Not just interested, or
> thankful to be in a position to pay the bills mostly on time, but
> fulfilled? Is that enough? Are you doing what you always thought you
> were "meant" to do? Is that question even meaningful anymore?

I can also suggest this

  http://pobronson.com/index_what_should_I_do_with_my_life.htm

(the "big trees" story is a dream of mine).  he doesn't give any
answers, but the stories he relates helped me put (some) things in
perspective.

separately, I recently read his latest book

  http://pobronson.com/index_why_do_i_love_these_people.htm

and found it equally insightful in the family realm.  and if you're
happy with family sometimes the other things (like work) fall into place.

> Are you on course? If not, can you change it? What would it cost you to
> put your dreams to the test? Are you willing to pay that price?

personally, I find that most of the rest of my life is more imporant
than my dreams...

> Inquiring minds want to know...
> -kip

hang in there kip.  you rock!