[Dahut-pm] Volunteers for CPAN takeover

Robin Berjon robin.berjon at expway.fr
Thu Aug 12 12:51:10 CDT 2004

Hi Dahuts and Björn,

[only one of these two being a mythical beast]

it is quite apparent now if it wasn't before that I'm highly unlikely to
be doing much Perl work, for fun or profit, in the foreseeable future.
What (very) little development work I do for myself is entirely around
UI-level specifications, and that involves building atop either Mozilla
or Cocoa (probably the latter most of the time). No Perl. It's not that
I don't like Perl anymore, it's just that it's not the right tool for
the stuff I'd like to do.

I'd like to think that some of the stuff I put on CPAN is useful, even
if I do say so myself ;) And seeing that most of it hasn't been touched
in a decade or so, it needs to be in the hands of someone that would
maintain it.

There are three kinds of modules there: those that no one ever used,
those that are used by very few, and those that are in common use.
They're all for grabs but obviously the latter are more important. Some
also have no foreseen need for maintenance which means I can keep them
without it being a problem for anyone, unless a patch is sent that I
will very likely forget in my inbox somewhere.

Note that it's probably not a lot of work (unless you want to improve on
them, I can certainly give leads in there -- especially supporting
Encode in XML::SAX::Writer), just a patch once in a while.

Please say which ones you want. Those that don't have takers will be
sold on use.perl and perl-xml.

Here goes:

TAKEN (by Perigrin)
   Acme::Dahut
   XML::CommonNS
   XML::NamespaceFactory

USED
   AxKit::XSP::CharsetConv
     Last I looked this was used by people that were having trouble with
     charsets in XSP, which isn't unusual when dealing with broken form
     input or when using XSP with non-XML stuff (notably DBs).
     Zero-maintenance.

   AxKit::XSP::MD5
     This was used back in the days, don't know abotu the status, but
     zero-maintenance.

   XML::Filter::BufferText
     Simple, useful, makes the Java guys jealous. No foreseen
     maintenance.

   XML::NamespaceSupport
     This needs to be maintained because SAX relies on it heavily, even
     though it doesn't seem to have any problems and shouldn't be work to
     own.

   XML::SAX::Expat
     I expect this to be superceded by the XS version, but it could use
     some maintenance.

   XML::SAX::Writer
     This needs a new owner. It'll likely require at least a little work.

USED A LITTLE
   AxKit::XSP::AttrParam
     This is potentially used, but it should be merged into the other
     param taglibs.

   Class::ArrayObjects
     I know of a few people that use this, and some of my modules have
     dependencies on it. It would be fair for ubu to take it over since
     he ridiculed it so much ;) There may be a need for a patch or two if
     people request it, but it's unlikely.

   CSS::SAC
     Björn uses this, and some people have mentionned using it. Requires
     patches (that Björn has -- I would assume that if you don't take it
     no one will. I grant you the right to add support for parsing
     gradients if you do take it :).

NOT USED THAT I KNOW OF
   AxKit::Plugin::DisableXSLTParams
     This one has been advertised several times and I used to use it on
     all my AxKit site, but I think I'm the only person who doesn't think
     it stinks. It's zero-maintenance though so it's a cheap way to
     increase your CPAN count.

   XML::RDDL
     It would seem that I'm the only person in the Perl community
     interested in RDDL (check it out if you don't know what it is). It's
     likely to move if the TAG makes a Rec out of it. This is one of the
     rare modules that I might actually maintain (pending TAG related
     work) but by all means take it if you're interested in the topic
     (imho RDDL could be very useful for SemWeb stuff, a little explored
     avenue).

NOT EVEN DONE
   XML::XPathExt
     This could be useful, but right now it's just a proof-of-concept.

NOT RELEASED
   XML::DOM3
   http://www.expway.com/robin/perl/XML-DOM3-0.03.tar.gz

Thanks for taking stuff off the list! I'll post to other fora with stuff
I don't have answers for in a week.

--
Robin Berjon