[Dahut-pm] skinnable schema

James G Smith JGSmith at TAMU.Edu
Wed Aug 4 13:39:29 CDT 2004

Here are some of my initial thoughts.  Overall, I think it's a good
schema.  I just have a couple of nit-picky things to clarify.

http://axkitbook.com/download/skinner.rng

I assume the following is an example:

<skin:page xmlns:skin="http://XSLThemes.org/NS/skinner/0.1/">
  <skin:security>
    <skin:session>0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef</skin:session>
    <skin:user xmln:ldap="">
      <ldap:sn>Smith</ldap:sn>
      <ldap:gn>James</ldap:gn>
      <ldap:eduPersonNetID>jgsmith</ldap:eduPersonNetID>
    </skin:user>
  </skin:security>
  <skin:meta>
    <skin:script language="JavaScript">
       <!-- javascript stuff here -->
    </skin:script>
    <skin:title>Some title here (without markup?)</skin:title>
    <!-- other argitrary elements here -->
  </skin:meta>
  <skin:navigation>
    <skin:leftnav>
      <!-- arbitrary elements here -->
    </skin:leftnav>
  </skin:navigation>
  <skin:content>
    <!-- arbitrary elements here -->
  </skin:content>
</skin:page>

This seems reasonable.  The logout/login box can key off the security
section.  The main thing I am wondering about is the navigation.
Should we have assumptions about location in our tags?  Perhaps we
could come up with a semantic description of the type of navigation.

  <skin:navigation>
    <skin:breadcrumb>
      <!-- list of items... perhaps rdf? -->
    </skin:breadcrumb>
    <skin:primary-menu>
      <!-- list of selections... again, perhaps rdf? -->
    </skin:primary-menu>
  </skin:navigation>

We might also want some items such as the content boxes on the side
in slashdot and other similar sites.  I'm not sure what to call them,
though <skin:side-box/> comes to mind.  But that's putting
positioning back into it.  Perhaps <skin:sidebar/> to mean something
that is content, but not primary content.  The term is borrowed from
print publishing, but doesn't require that it be at the side.
--
James Smith <JGSmith at TAMU.Edu>, 979-862-3725
Texas A&M CIS Operating Systems Group, Unix