[Curitiba-pm] Modern Perl 2011 - 2012 release

Felipe Leprevost leprevostfv at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 18:15:52 PST 2012

Olá pessoas, antes de tudo um bom 2012 a todos.

Estou repassando a vocês a mensagem do Chromatic (abaixo):

abraços.

"The Modern Perl book <http://onyxneon.com/books/modern_perl/index.html> went
to the printer earlier this week; this is the 2011-2012 edition.

You can already preorder Modern Perl: 2011-2012 from
Amazon<http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Perl-chromatic/dp/0977920178/?tag=onyxneopre-20>
and
it'll be available from other bookstores in the next couple of days. I
expect copies to ship by early next week.

What's new?

I closed every bug filed against the previous edition—a handful of typos, a
few confusing sections, and some suggestions on improvements. I took most
of these suggestions.

I also revised almost every paragraph of the book, even at the sentence
level. While I'm proud of the first edition, this new edition is clearer,
shorter, more concise, and more accurate.

I removed some sections that didn't work. This didn't amount to much, but
some of the things I recommended made little sense anymore and some of the
experimental modules I mentioned turned out to be less useful than hoped.
You won't miss them. This includes a big revision of the smart matching
section in anticipation of changes in 5.16 and 5.18 (simplicity is the rule
of the day; the simpler your use of the operator, the less risk you face
for confusing behavior and edge cases).

I also added explanations for the new features in Perl 5.14, especially the
/r modifier on regular expressions, and prepared for further features added
in 5.16.

You might notice subtle improvements in formatting; the font size used for
code examples is larger and callouts are much more attractive. We're still
experimenting with the best way to format books to make readable text while
avoiding brick-sized tomes, so feedback is more than welcome.

As with the first edition, we'll make electronic versions available for
free from the Onyx Neon site. We hope to have ePub versions ready in the
next two weeks. We'll also put raw HTML online on modernperlbooks.com at
the same time (this also allows us to link to translations with greater
ease). In addition, we're making most of our publishing tools available as
CPAN distributions, including the formatting modules (Pod::PseudoPod::DOM)
and the rendering pipeline (Pod::PseudoPod::Book). This will allow you to
make your own version of the book in other languages if you desire, or to
create new and attractive books in many formats. We'll make our own Kindle
version, rather than using Amazon's conversion tools (they didn't work as
well as we'd hoped), and we hope to get the book in the Nook store as well.

We plan to release a new version of the book late this year or early next
year to cover 5.14 and 5.16. We'll almost certainly drop support and
mention of 5.10.

We couldn't have done this book without you. Thanks for reading. Please
share with your friends."

--
Felipe da Veiga Leprevost
Computational Biology Laboratory