[Columbus-pm] MLDBM-like module

Michael Frager mike at dialyourleads.com
Mon Nov 16 14:25:47 PST 2009

Hello (again) Columbus.pm,

I have developed a module that is somewhat like MLDBM. In case you're not
familiar with MLDBM, this module will take a hash and synchronize its
contents with a DB file for persistent storage. Unlike a regular hash tied
to a DB file, MLDBM will save entire data structures that are contained
within the hash keys, serializing them on the fly.

I've taken that concept a little bit further and developed a module that
will synchronize both hashes and arrays with a SQL database. Each element of
the data structure being stored can either be stored as its own row or its
entire contents serialized (similar to MLDBM). The process is recursive so
entire structures can be stored this way.

The upshot is that you can take an entire Perl data structure, made of any
combination of hashes and arrays, and just place it into a SQL database. It
works no matter how deep the structure is and without the need for a custom
SQL schema. Since Perl's "tie" function is use, once the structure is
stored, it can be manipulated like any variable, except that changes will be
transparently stored in the SQL database.

I'm in the processes of preparing this module for CPAN, I was wondering if
there is anyone in the Columbus.pm group who might be interested in learning
about it?

Thanks,

Michael K Frager, Software Developer

~ Dial Your Leads ~