[Columbus-pm] Lead Perl Developer

shane shane at lottadot.com
Wed Jul 18 15:21:38 PDT 2007

On Jul 18, 2007, at 5:10 PM, Jonathan Hogue wrote:

> good discussion. I was having this same conversationon the side.
>
> To me, there's two points. perl's bit of a dieing language. ie,
> most new projects are in Java, .net or maybe Ruby. Most companies
> that do perl are in a containment mode or are in the process of
> converting to some other technology. And a lot of the talent that
> used to do Perl are now doing other things (java, .net, Ruby or
> something completely different).

Sometimes I ponder on that "dieing" thing. One doesn't see too many
perl articles on dzone, digg, etc. But is that because the other
languages don't have things like local perl monger's groups (I know
CMH has a Ruby group now), perl Monks, use.perl and the best tool of
all cpan? How many of those other languages that are always being
blogged about have the vast resources that cpan gives perl, available
to them - now?? Or is it because instead of blogging about 10
different variations of the same simple sets of ruby/php code, people
are actually just coding away in Perl instead of blogging about it?

I guess it all depends on where you work. Some places are Perl shops.
Some vb, .net, rails, java, c, whatever. Each has many frameworks,
that different shops choose (or not) to use.

> I haven't worked in Perl in over 2 years. My experience is out
> dated. So most perl interviews are a waste of time because they end
> up being dead ends.

But how many years did you spend coding in it? How fast, if you
wanted to, do you think you could "pick it up again"?

> Also, because Perl is being used less and less in application
> development projects, and by doing Perl development I'm missing
> opportunities to learn more marketable technologies, it's a bit of
> a dead end career move to.

I think it depends on where you work. But most places I've worked -
learn something new? 'Do it on your own time.' Then they don't
understand why you get hired away at a larger salary because you know
more and you're more valuable. Hmmm. Seems like a pattern to me, but
what do I know? ;) (as I pickup another programming book)

>  That doesn't mean that I won't take Perl positions, but I look to
> be paid a premium ($150-300 an hour) to even consider going through
> the interview process and jumping into a position whose main
> benefit is the pay.

Heh, I've never been paid to consider/go through an interview
process. My hats off to ya :)

  Shane