[columbus.pm] [Fwd: Perl User Group Job Board]

Leonard Jaffe lenjaffe at mail.com
Tue May 11 18:07:52 CDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wilcox, Randy L." <rwilcox at kforce.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 09:28:33 -0400
To: <columbus-pm-list at happyfunball.pm.org>
Subject: RE: [columbus.pm] [Fwd: Perl User Group Job Board]

> To take a simplistic view of this...Is it safe to say that if I am
> strong Perl programmer who has created objects on my own, that I can put
> OOPerl on my resume and that should satisfy the hiring manager without
> misrepresenting myself?

If you have written applications in Perl, and used the concepts and methods
of Object Oriented Programming (classes, methods, inheritence, private data, etc.) , rather
than Procedural Programming (functions, subroutines, public data, etc.), then you're
OOPerl compliant.

There's a fine line though, because in OOPerl, the main differnce between a procedural module, and
an Object module is a constructor subroutine named new() and a tiny bit of new code in each subroutine
to manage the reference that points to the object.  It does not take much to move from Procedural style
perl to OOperl, and that is a strength of Perl's.  The bigger deal is really the OO design and analysis,
by which you arrive at your class hierarchy for your applicatiuon.

Len.
There, that was simplistic :-)
Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm

To send mail to the Columbus.pm list send email to
columbus-pm-list at pm.org

unsubscribe columbus-pm-list