[columbus.pm] [Fwd: Perl User Group Job Board, Maypole]

jon at hogue.org jon at hogue.org
Tue May 11 08:52:41 CDT 2004

Quoting "Wilcox, Randy L." <rwilcox at kforce.com>:

> To take a simplistic view of this...Is it safe to say that if I am
> strong Perl programmer who has created objects on my own, that I can put
> OOPerl on my resume and that should satisfy the hiring manager without
> misrepresenting myself?

I would even go as far as, if you've used Perl objects, that would satisfy
that requirement. (Most modules are oo... like DBI, CGI, etc).

On another thread, have you guys looked at maypole (Apache::MVC). If you're
doing web-app development in perk, it deserves a glance.

This is a very mature implementation of a framework that only requires that
you tell it about your database, and it automagically creates an app interface
to it. It uses Class::DBI, mod_perl, and one of the popular templating modules
(I forget which one). They are also working on plugging it into Mason for the
front in piece.

The application will give you new, delete, list, edit, etc. funcitonality on
your web object. And it exposes interfaces to extend the functionality.
Maypole is 90% of all your web apps, and it is written to utilize current perl
best practices.

There's a couple of good articles about it on perl.com
To send mail to the Columbus.pm list send email to
columbus-pm-list at pm.org

unsubscribe columbus-pm-list