[columbus.pm] [Fwd: Perl User Group Job Board]

jon at hogue.org jon at hogue.org
Mon May 10 21:16:02 CDT 2004

I interviewed for it today. It seems like an interesting oportunity.

They are running on IPlanet. They have some custom written stuff to handle
statefullness. The said it's written in OOPerl, but on Iplanet. They have a
pretty large code base.

They have talked about moving to Java. They like the benefits of J2EE with
object persistance and speed. Of course, Perl at least matches that when used
with mod_per/apache.

Java is a propietary technology, just like Microsoft Windows is. Perl is open
source. If you don't like the direction, licensing, ethics, new owners, etc.
etc. of Sun, it will take a substantial financial investment to change your
direction by picking a different product. If you don't like the direction,
licensing, etc. etc of an open technology, you can branch it, stop upgrading
(may not be an option with propietary technologies), or pick a different
branch of the same technology. But that's just my opinion :-)
To send mail to the Columbus.pm list send email to
columbus-pm-list at pm.org

unsubscribe columbus-pm-list