[columbus.pm] What gets you excited about Perl?

Stephen J. Smith sjs at khadrin.com
Mon Apr 5 20:01:52 CDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 19:28, jon at hogue.org wrote:
> > I would be willing to give an introduction to one of these at an
> > upcoming meeting if there is interest.
> That'd be great. Is this enough lead time for the April meeting?

Yes.  Which module seems more interesting?  My vote would probably be
Devel::Cover.  It would give me an excuse to dig in to the internals.
Plus it is easy to make pretty output. ;)

The author describes the internal workings as follows (see
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/pjcj/testing_and_code_coverage/paper.html#devel::cover):

"Devel::Cover...uses a pluggable runops function to gather the coverage
data. Perl's runops function is a small function that does little more
than loop through all the opcodes that make up your Perl program,
running the appropriate functions and moving between the ops as the
program dictates. It is possible for a module to replace this function
with one of its own, and that is what Devel::Cover does. This allows for
the tracking of each op as it is executed, and it is here that the
coverage data are gathered.

"But users don't care, in general, about the ops that perl is using to
run their program. And so in a post processing phase, information about
the ops is mapped back to reality using the rather wonderful B modules."

I have never been to Scottie MacBean's.  I gather it is a coffee shop.
What are the facilities like?  Will there be a projection screen?
Wireless LAN?  Am I correct in divining that the target time period is
one hour?

> > Is anybody else following these modules?  Or some others?  Perl 6?
> > Parrot?  What has you excited about Perl these days?
> >
> Perl 6 is exciting to me.

Yea.  I don't know as much about it as I would like to though.  I
haven't been following the lists.  I know they have been working on
Parrot.  Have you tried Parrot?

I think Parrot is a great idea.  One bytecode to rule them all.  It
seems so obvious after the fact.  With any luck we could have less
duplication of effort and greater interoperability as a result.

--
Stephen J. Smith | sjs at khadrin.com | http://khadrin.com/

To send mail to the Columbus.pm list send email to
columbus-pm-list at pm.org

unsubscribe columbus-pm-list