[columbus.pm] What gets you excited about Perl?

Stephen J. Smith sjs at khadrin.com
Mon Apr 5 18:00:36 CDT 2004

Hi.  I am new to the list, and am looking forward to attending my first
meeting.

I have been using Perl for about two years.  It is one of my favorite
tools.

Recently, I have been following the development of two cool modules that
have a lot of potential:

Module::Build - Build and install Perl modules

    This is a pure perl replacement for EU::MM, and is the heir
    apparent.  CPANPLUS.pm (CPAN.pm replacement expected to be part of
    Perl 5.10) already includes support for Module::Build.

    This module is under fairly active development.  The mailing list
has
    recently been debating a plugin architecture.

    http://search.cpan.org/~kwilliams/Module-Build-0.24/lib/Module/Build.pm

Devel::Cover - Code coverage metrics for Perl

    Devel::Cover takes a completely different approach than the older
    Devel::Coverage, and has progressed rapidly of late.  Unlike
    Devel::Coverage, which is limited to statement coverage metrics,
    Devel::Cover can generate statement, branch, condition, subroutine,
    pod (via Pod::Coverage), and time coverage information.

    Paul Johnson is the creator and maintainer of Devel::Cover.  He
    recently posted a message to perl.qa contemplating a move to require
    Perl 5.8: http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.qa/2636.

    http://search.cpan.org/~pjcj/Devel-Cover-0.40/lib/Devel/Cover.pm

Neither project has yet reached the 1.0 milestone, so now is the time to
get in on the ground floor. ;)

I would be willing to give an introduction to one of these at an
upcoming meeting if there is interest.

Is anybody else following these modules?  Or some others?  Perl 6?
Parrot?  What has you excited about Perl these days?

I am hoping to get some good discussion going.  I hope noone minds.

--
Stephen J. Smith | sjs at khadrin.com | http://khadrin.com/

To send mail to the Columbus.pm list send email to
columbus-pm-list at pm.org

unsubscribe columbus-pm-list