[columbus.pm] Tommorrow's Meeting Summary

HOGUEJ at Nationwide.com HOGUEJ at Nationwide.com
Mon May 19 09:58:20 CDT 2003

Next meeting is at Nationwide at Tuttle location on Tuesday, May 20, 5:30
PM. I (Jon Hogue) will be giving a summary of Perl 6. Pizza will be
served. For more information about the meeting, see
http://columbus.pm.org.

About Perl 6 from http://dev.perl.org/perl6/
Perl6 is the next version of the Perl programming language.   The project
attempts to address the interpreter, the language, and the culture.  The
internals of the version 5 interpreter are so tangled that they hinder
maintenance, thwart some new feature efforts, and scare off potential
internals hackers.  The language as of version 5 has some misfeatures that
are a hassle to ongoing maintenance of the interpreter and of programs
written in Perl.  And finally, the entire Perl community is invited to
participate in the design and implementation of perl6.
"Perl 5 was my rewrite of Perl.  I want Perl 6 to be the community's
rewrite of Perl and of the community."

--Larry Wall, State of the Onion speech, TPC4
"When it comes to Perl 6 I'm no longer sure what's obvious and what isn't.
;-)"

--Damian Conway, <3D6A32FC.5030405 at conway.org>

Also, we had talked about creating a chatter bot at one point. It might be
neet to create such a thing that would answer common questions about the
local Perl Mongers meeting. Ie, answer questions or have discussions about
the following things:
When is the next meeting?
What is the next meeting about?
What is the Columbus Perl Monger?
Where can I find local talented Perl Programmers?
Why should I join the Columbus Perl Mongers?

Finally, I have recently been thinking about offering some Perl learning
aid for non-Perl people. This would be a great Perl service to the
community, would promot Perl in general, and would help increase local
membership. Any thoughts on this idea?