[columbus.pm] Last Perl Mongers Meeting Notes, and Future Meetings.

HOGUEJ at Nationwide.com HOGUEJ at Nationwide.com
Fri Mar 7 13:03:57 CST 2003

===============
Last Meeting
===============

At the last meeting, we had about 6 in attendance. We did some
brainstorming about some projects that would be cool to work on.

The idea was to provide a Perl project to server as a learning forumn for
our members, and attract new members to the group.

Create Perl based extensions (ai) to the popular empire game.
Create a traffic simulator.
Create an animal simulator, where animals could mutat and eat each other.
Expose a web interface. (ie, to drive traffic to our website).
Create a perl driven robot.
mason got mentioned somewhere, butI forget what we said about it.

We also talked about creating some kind of Perl Certification.

We spent some time talking about the animal simulator. I was most
interested in this one, as it would be kind of fun, it may draw traffic to
our website, thus, do some advertising for the group. I will spend some
time over the next week and see if I can at least come up with some kind of
code base and architecture. (basically, the code base would contain of some
basic plant/animal objects and a 'game engine'. Also expose some kind of
basic web interface.)

If you are interested in working on any of the topics listed above, send a
note out to the group and hopefully, you can find other interested parties.
By working on a couple of projects, we're sure to appeal to someone's
interests.

==============
Next Meeting....
==============

we are going to get to togethor and talk about the various coding projects
that have cropped up as a result of the first brainstorming session. it
will again be a very informal meeting. we talked about moving the meeting
to another location, like a pizza/beer joint. Someone mentioned the Pizza
place on Sawmill next to the Border's. I checked and they in fact don't
serve beer.

However, on the other side of 270, there is a pizza place that does server
beer. They are next to Crazy Kenny's Computer Warehouse, Spoonz, Papa Johns
and some used sports store. I forget the name, but if the Sawmill road area
is is okay for a meeting, I'll post more information about the place.

==============
April Meeting
==============

For the April meeting we'll probably be at Scottie McBeans, as we have
Steve Romig from Ohio State coming to speak. Hopefully, if we can get the
word out, we can pack the big room at McBeams. (If you are artistically
inclined, feel free to create some posters for advertising. No reason why
we can't start publisizing that meeting right after the March Meeting.

                                                       MOTD for Fri Mar 7 09:28:30 2003

                                           "Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called 'Ego'."

                                                                                                            - Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)

               brought to you by a herd of scripting camels

To send mail to the Columbus.pm list send email to
columbus-pm-list at pm.org

unsubscribe columbus-pm-list