[columbus.pm] Meeting next thursday

Monte, Kenn kmonte at mchs.com
Thu Mar 2 13:02:01 CST 2000

A team/task oriented approach is probably a good idea in keeping the webpage
updated & useful.
Let's face it, we are all busy, but we would also all like to see
columbus.pm thrive.

I agree that there could be more perl (module) documentation. I would like
to see a code/module of the week/month (?) section on the page; we all
think, problem solve and program a bit differently. We all have our favorite
modules, lets share this passion, with a module and a code snippet for a
real world example.

For example, I used system(" ftp -i -n < $Ftpfile"); until I found Net::FTP
from libnet-1.0607.
Now my scripts look more like this:
sub FtpSend() {
  $Ftphome = "/usr/data/stats/hosts/$Host";
  $Ftp = Net::FTP->new("$IP");
  $Ftp->login("$User","$Pass");
  $Ftp->cwd("$Ftphome");
  $Ftp->binary;
  foreach $File(@Files) { $Ftp->put("$File") }
  $Ftp->quit;
}

That module is a life saver.
I suspect we could all learn from and enjoy the experience that each other
has.

Kenn Monte
Senior Systems Programmer (pronounced 'unix bitch')
Information Resources, Mount Carmel Health
Phone: (614) 234-8761 Fax: (614) 234-8880
Email: kmonte at mchs.com