[Cologne-pm] F?r Mike (aber auch alle anderen): MySQL sucks, die 9.920.930.984te

Michael Lamertz mike at lamertz.net
Fri Mar 9 06:11:51 PST 2007

Hey,

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 02:17:19PM +0100, A. Pagaltzis wrote:
> Weil wir gestern drüber geredet haben:

nur damit die Leute, die gestern *nicht* anwesend waren, nicht in den
Hals bekommen, ich sei Pro-MySQL, hier die Quotes von denen ich gestern
sprach, und die meine Aversion gegen MySQL 100% auf den Punkt bringen:

    Claim:

        http://developers.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=163528&cid=13657768
        ---------- snip ----------
        Re:Is it a "real" database yet?

        I cannot trust MySQL to store data reliably until the MySQL give a
        clear explanation as to why they made decisions that no competent
        database developer would ever make.

        For example, you have a constraint limiting a column to a maximum of
        99. You attempt to enter 999 as a value, and it got silently altered
        to 99. Not only is it against SQL standards, it's also completely
        and utterly the opposite of common sense.

        Just once, I'd like to hear a MySQL developer say "yeah, I don't
        know what we were thinking, that's a really fucked up thing to do".
        It doesn't matter whether this intentional bug got fixed, what
        matters is that there are MySQL developers that thought that this
        was a reasonable thing to do.

        That's not an isolated incident, either. There are reams and reams
        of utter idiocy along exactly those lines. So really, what would it
        matter if they've fixed those particular instances? How do I know
        they haven't introduced a dozen more breakages along those lines? So
        far, they haven't shown any indication that they even realise how
        fucked up that is - so why on earth would I trust them with data
        that matters?
        ---------- snip ----------

    Die Antwort:

        http://developers.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=163528&cid=13661849
        ---------- snip ----------
        Re: Ok, here goes...

        > a MySQL developer say "yeah, I don't know what we were thinking,
        > that's a really fucked up thing to do" Yep, its a fucked up thing.

        This is why we implemented strict mode for 5.0. In 4.1 you get
        warnings, in 5.0 if you are using a transaction table it tosses an
        error. If this is an issue, upgrade to 5.0. Personally for me it is.
        ---------- snip ----------

    Und die Keule:

        http://developers.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=163528&cid=13658080
        ---------- snip ----------
        Re:Is it a "real" database yet?

        You obviously missed my point, so I'll try and be a little clearer.

        The problem is not that they wrote software with bugs. And obviously
        I'm not complaining about fixes, as you seem to be implying.

        The problem is the nature of the bugs that they introduced. No
        developer who is competent to work on a database would ever, in a
        million years, think that silently altering and discarding data
        without the application's knowledge is an acceptable thing for a
        database to do.

---->   So basically, if we know for a fact that they were incompetent
---->   before, and they've showed no signs of understanding just how
---->   incompetent they were, why would we believe that they are competent
---->   now? And if we don't take it on faith that they've magically become
---->   competent without anybody noticing, then why would we trust a
---->   database that is developed and maintained by incompetent developers?

--
	    Well, then let's give that Java-Wussie a beating... (me)

Michael Lamertz                        |     +49 2234 204947 / +49 171 6900 310
Sandstr. 122                           |                       mike at lamertz.net
50226 Frechen                          |                 http://www.lamertz.net
Germany                                |               http://www.perl-ronin.de