[Cologne-pm] YAPC::Europe::2003

Michael Lamertz mike at lamertz.net
Mon Apr 28 18:32:49 CDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 12:40:06AM +0200, D at vid lacravate wrote:
> Hi Mike ,
>
> En ce jour du Mon, 28 Apr 2003 23:45:18 +0200,
> Michael Lamertz <mike at lamertz.net> parlait ainsi :
> > Thanks for your announcement (3 times btw. ;-).  I'm still missing some
> Yeah yeah ... i know ... If it could soothe you just a little , i did that too for two or three other monger groups (well ok , three or four ;)...

    >:->  At least 2 more of which I'm subscribed to...

> > information about upcoming talks and their presenters.
> Ahah ! A key point ...

And your answer to that is...?  :-P

    .oO( /me is *such* a bastard tonight... )

> So we lack talks (definitely not enough) as Philippe 'BooK' Bruhat will announce in the next issue of his blog on www.useperl.org
> http://use.perl.org/~book/journal/

Bookmarked...

> So we won't be sure who will talk about what and how until somewhere around the beginning of June . Until then , we hope to be able to setup an online sum up of the proposed talks which will foreshadow Y::E schedule .

How about putting the incoming abstracts as "proposals" online as they
come in?

> In the meantime , you can have a guess about who will speak by having a look at
> http://yapc.mongueurs.net/yapc/search/

Bookmarked too...

> and clicking on the button without filling in anything . It'll give the complete list of registered people (127 at this time) and thus potential speakers ...

Oh, these are the people that will go there?  Not the one's that
registered for talking?  That sounds like *ALOT* of lightning talks...

> > If that list is yet to be created though, I'm sure everybody from
> > Cologne.pm would like to hear from you as soon as the information is
> > available.
> Just count on me , i'll let you know , i put on my list of the happy receivers of disguised spam ;-)

I'll add a SpamAssassin rule, especially for you...  ;-)

> > Another thing that I'd like you to comment on is the quality of
> > available hotels.  You list 2 and 3 star hotels in the area.  From my
> > experiences in London, 3 stars is the absolute minimum, but that might
> > be a Brit's thing.  Can you give us a bit of Details about what's to
> > expect with 2 and 3 stars?
> I'm glad you ask because it means you read what is to me the most important thing in my announcement : logistics ...
>
> As i said and confirm , we are (i am) definitely willing to help on the hotel item .
>
> Now about french standars : you had a shrewd guess , France and UK are totally different when it comes to lodgings .
> You'll be able to find much cheaper hotel (with equialent services) in Paris than in London . So the 2-star hotels that are indicated on the website are the upper average and 3-star is assuredly the beginning of luxury accomodations .

Which sounds definitively nice, since those are still in the pricerange
of that craphole in London...

> The best quality/price ratio will be found with 2-star (generally clean room , television , bathroom inside) . But you can be lucky with 1 or 0-star hotel although i would not advise them , simply because you could as well be _un_lucky ... (your side note example is a bad-luck french 1-star hotel) . About prices : they certainly tend to swell during summer but you can think of 60 Eur (for 2-star) .
>
> Was it clear ?

Yepp, definitely.  And helpful.  /me hates travelling and to be in
countries where I don't speak the language fluently and don't know the
rules.  Acceptable accomodation is a definite plus to ease that...

> Other questions ?

Nope.  Waiting for the list...

Thx for the fast reply...

Mike

--
	    Well, then let's give that Java-Wussie a beating... (me)

Michael Lamertz                        |     +49 2234 204947 / +49 171 6900 310
Sandstr. 122                           |                       mike at lamertz.net
50226 Frechen                          |                 http://www.lamertz.net
Germany                                |               http://www.perl-ronin.de