[Classiccity-pm] Atlanta-pm starting meeings again starting Jan. 11th

Darrell Golliher darrell at golliher.net
Fri Jan 7 12:46:28 PST 2005

FYI,

   I'll be going, but will already be in Atlanta or else I'd offer to
   drive a carpool.  Maybe I'll see some of you there.

-Darrell

----- Forwarded message from Stephen Adkins <stephen.adkins at officevision.com> -----

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 17:08:06 +0000
From: Stephen Adkins <stephen.adkins at officevision.com>
To: atlanta-pm at mail.pm.org
Subject: [Atlanta-pm]
	Reminder: Tue Jan 11, 6pm - Upcoming Atlanta.pm Meeting

Hi,

[NOTE: I tried to send this reminder yesterday morning, but I
think it didn't get through.  Please excuse me if you have
received this twice.]

This is a reminder about the upcoming meeting of Atlanta.pm.
Here are the details (as described in a Dec 20 email).

  What:  Meeting of Atlanta.pm (Atlanta PerlMongers)
  When:  Tue Jan 11, 6:00pm - 7:30pm
  Where: Hands on Network (near Georgia Tech)
         600 Means St., Atlanta, GA 30318

[NOTE: If you are interested in helping organize Atlanta.pm but
will not be able to make this meeting, send me a message.]

Program
  6:00-6:15pm Introductions
  6:15-6:30pm Rudy Lippan - DBD::mysql 3.0 (upcoming release)
  6:30-6:45pm Les Howard - Secure Coding with Perl
  6:45-7:00pm Stephen Adkins - App::Options - writing flexible
              and configurable perl utilities with ease
  7:00-7:15pm TBD
  7:15-7:30pm Discussion about
               * upcoming meetings,
               * desired future topics, and
               * vision for the future of Atlanta.pm
               * (any other administration?)

I think it would be good for every presenter to have some kind
of handout, even a quick, one-page cheat sheet on the concepts
you are presenting.

FUTURE MEETINGS

As far as future meetings, the feedback I got was that the following
profile for a meeting worked best with people.

   * Days of Week: Tuesday or Thursday
   * Duration:     1.5 to 2 hours
   * Start Time:   Between 6:00pm and 8:00pm

My guess would be that we would settle in to the second Tuesday of the
month, from 6:30pm to 8:15pm.  We'll discuss this and vote on it as
the last item of the meeting as indicated above.

FUTURE TOPICS

Please be thinking about future topics.  (Anyone who wants to volunteer
to take the fourth topic, currently labeled "TBD", please contact me.)

Some topics that are very interesting that I can think of would be:

   * Perl Date/Time Handling
   * Perl Exception Handling (examples from DBI)
   * Perl Database/Persistence Layers
   * Perl Template Libraries
   * Perl Web Application Frameworks
   * Perl XML Modules
   * Perl and Apache (mod_perl)
   * Perl on Windows and in MS IIS (via ISAPI)
   * CPAN and Publishing High "Kwalitee" Modules on CPAN
   * Professional Perl Development Success Stories
   * Perl Reporting via Text, CSV, PDF, Excel
   * Perl Web Page Scraping
   * Wrapping C Libraries for Perl with XS (and SWIG?)
   * Perl Regression Testing
   * Perl Debugging
   * Perl Benchmarking
   * Perl Documentation
   * The P5EE Project (Perl 5 Enterprise Environment)

If no one volunteers to take the fourth slot, I will choose one of these
and have a round table discussion (brief presentation followed by
discussion of everyone's experiences with the various options).

VISION FOR THE FUTURE

If anyone is interested, we can end the meeting talking about people's
ideas about the future of Atlanta.pm.  I personally would like to see it
become a group that accomplishes two purposes (in addition to the things
we may all learn at the meetings).

   1. Enhance professional development through networking with other
      perl professionals in the Atlanta area.
   2. Facilitate high quality Free/Open-Source software projects
      (i.e. modules that can be submitted to CPAN)

Thanks,

Stephen Adkins
--
Stephen Adkins <stephen.adkins at officevision.com>