[Classiccity-pm] How big is CGI.pm?

Mark Hazen markh at markh.com
Fri Sep 19 23:12:24 CDT 2003

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Jonathan Daugherty wrote:

> Yeah, I can really see how there could be a tree of smaller modules like
> CGI::Form, CGI::Request, etc., instead of one big thing.

There's a blurb in the perldoc about this, saying that there's a lot of
code in CGI.pm that LWP duplicates or reimplements, and maybe CGI.pm could
be rewritten to leverage LWP's code. This doesn't solve the problem
however, because you're still stuck with the monolithic nature, so I can
understand why Lincoln Stein doesn't bother. Oh well.

>  The only thing that CGI.pm provides that I like to use is ->param.

Nod, specifically for multiselector lists. Sometimes I'll just get a wild
hair and use split, though. :)

Cheers,

-mh.
----
   . _+m"m+_"+_    Mark Hazen
 d' Jp     qh qh
Jp  O       O  O
Yb  Yb     dY dY
 O   "Y5m2Y"  "  even the mightiest wave starts out as a ripple.
  "Y_            why make waves when it's easier to nurture ripples?