[Classiccity-pm] basic idiot question

nathan r. hruby nhruby at uga.edu
Sat Oct 25 09:15:34 CDT 2003

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Jeff Scarbrough wrote:

> At 07:08 PM 10/24/2003 -0500, you wrote:
> >On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Jeff Scarbrough wrote:
> >
> > > Today's project is a little more complicated:  I have two or three similar
> > > data files from different instruments, and I need to read them all in and
> > > output a file where the times recorded in each line match.  It's
> >
> >Can you give some examples of what the data looks like?
>
> Sure... <G>

[snip]
> All lines contain newline character except last line.
>
> Output file will contain DOY, then data1 through status for each file.

To make your life easier (assuming I'm understanding your needs
correctly), you could cat them all into one file and then run sort on
them, which should put everything in consecutive order, then All you need
to do is have your perl script just insert empty values where needed and
do any other post processing.

-n
nathan hruby <nhruby at uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free