[Classiccity-pm] basic idiot question

Jeff Scarbrough rail at uga.edu
Fri Oct 24 14:19:36 CDT 2003

Hello all stations,

I have been using Perl for simple file processing for about a year, mostly
to reorganize lines of data and do simple averaging.

Today's project is a little more complicated:  I have two or three similar
data files from different instruments, and I need to read them all in and
output a file where the times recorded in each line match.  It's
complicated because each instrument will not necessarily put out data each
minute - sometimes it will skip a minute, sometimes it will skip twenty
minutes.

I have some ideas about how I might make this happen, but before I use
brute force, I wondered if Perl might have some special functions I'm not
aware of that would make the job a lot easier...seems like this is a
perfect job for Perl, and I'm sure it's been done before.

TIA,

Jeff