[Chicago-talk] What does dollar sign followed by a period represent?

Sean Blanton sean at blanton.com
Tue Jan 9 05:26:50 PST 2024

Small thing… I don’t use the word “scripts” anymore. They are programs and
as you say they should be treated as such.

I’ve found if something is called a script, people will lower their code
quality standards. The name even suggests it’s no more than a sequence of
commands

For Junior programmers or ops or testing people, having them write
“programs” makes   them feel empowered and more integrated into the team
with developers. Some companies have this hierarchy or wall between
developers and support people

No, this is not something dramatic and may not apply to all people or all
teams - it’s subtle, but I’ve seen it chip away at the stress of non-fte
developers who are struggling to write code in support roles

It can help communicate your standard process also - “there are no scripts
anymore. Everyone writes programs and all programs go through code review!”
Then you’ve also eliminated a whole category of IT asset that needs to be
managed. Hth

Regards,
Sean

Sean Blanton