[Chicago-talk] What's happening with Perl these days

J L joel.limardo at forwardphase.com
Fri Apr 5 09:17:26 PDT 2024

"I'm only lightly technical these days, having moved into a sales role a
decade ago. I haven't really done any programming for years."

Here's my two cents:  If the entities you serve do not want Perl who cares?
What do YOU want? When I work with a company they give me an assignment--
give us X. How I model X, support X until I hand it over to their own
internal support department, etc. is *my* business. How I handle contact
management (Perl), documentation (wiki written in Perl), and even software
testing (system I wrote in Perl) is MY business. They get the cake; I keep
the pan, spoons, cling wrap, and the ovens. Now I can make more cakes
elsewhere. I can even give them away.

Perl's strength is that it gives you an actual tool to help you think for
yourself. You don't need a company to tell you what software problems to
think about. Just as the writer *must* write the programmer *must* program.
To the devil with what companies want and what some nondescript IT
management fool is telling you. What do YOU want to do with the wonderful
grey matter residing atop thine head? Solve problems, explore.