[Chicago-talk] Inotify upon file upload?

Richard Reina richard at rushlogistics.com
Sat Nov 25 08:57:57 PST 2023

As it turn out Linux::Inotify2 can get triggered by when a file is accessed. So here is what I came up with to detect when the file has been uploaded (accessed ) and then move it.

use strict;
use File::Copy;

#waits for a waiting cvs file to be accessed and then moves it to old_cvs/ directory
use Linux::Inotify2;
my $inotify = new Linux::Inotify2 or die $!;
my $dir ='/home/richard/cvs_ready/';

$inotify->watch($dir, IN_ACCESS) or die "No such dir: $dir: $!\n";

while () {

    my @events = $inotify->read;

    unless (@events > 0){
       print "read error: $!";
       last ;
    }

    my $i = 0;
    foreach my $event (@events) {

    $i++;
    if (substr($event->fullname, -1) ne  '/') { # they accessed an actual file, not just an 'ls' on the directory

        print $event->fullname . " was modified\n" if $event->IN_ACCESS;
        sleep 60;
        print $event->fullname . " to /home/richard/old_cvs/\n";
        move($event->fullname, "/home/richard/old_cvs/") or die "move failed: $!"; # move the file

    }
    }

} # end of while