[Chicago-talk] Parsing APA-format citations

Alan Mead amead at alanmead.org
Mon May 7 07:28:15 PDT 2018

On 5/7/2018 9:23 AM, Mike Fragassi wrote:
> Well, if you can create targets for the in-text citations, and feed
> the text body into the parser to look for these, you could then take
> the hashrefs and use them to generate a skeleton of a bibliography
> that you can fill out later. I.e. for a text reference of "see Foo and
> Bar (2001)" you'll only have the author(s) and year for what's in the
> text, but you could take that, feed it into a template system like
> Template::Toolkit, and spit out a bibliography with 'TODO' or 'XXX' in
> the missing fields:
>    Foo, XXX. & Bar XXX. (2001)  XXX_TITLE. XXX_JOURNAL, XXX_VOL,
> XXX_PAGES.
> Then go back and fill in the missing fields.
> And when done with writing both the text and the bibliography, you can
> rescan both to check that there's no mismatches. Of course, that won't
> help you if in one place you site Foo & Bar (2001) but you meant to
> site Foo & Bar (2002), and you do also correctly site both of these
> elsewhere.

This is precisely what I want to do. The first step is to create the
skeleton and your suggestion to use Biblio::Citation::Parser will make
the second step much easier.

-Alan

--

Alan D. Mead, Ph.D.
President, Talent Algorithms Inc.

science + technology = better workers

http://www.alanmead.org

I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe...
functions on fire in a copy of Orion.
I watched C-Sharp glitter in the dark near a programmable gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like Ruby... on... Rails... Time for Pi.

          --"The Register" user Alister, applying the famous
            "Blade Runner" speech to software development