[Chicago-talk] Regex question

Andy_Bach at wiwb.uscourts.gov Andy_Bach at wiwb.uscourts.gov
Thu Apr 28 10:05:48 PDT 2011

> You're actually going to want to use it with a ? in there:

s/Hello.*,?/$ES/g;

> Otherwise it's greedy and will replace everything from Hello through the
last comma

Maybe a typo but:
s/Hello.*?,/$ES/g;

the "?" modifies the '*', in the original it was saying "zero or one
commas" - and you'd need to replace the "Hello " text too.  the "/g" would
mean there's possibly more than one "Hello ...." chunk in your letter?

Another good idiom is to use the negative char class for the marker
s/Hello\s+[^,]+,/Hello $ES,/;

That is - "one or more of anything besides a comma"

Andy Bach
Systems Mangler
Internet: andy_bach at wiwb.uscourts.gov
Voice: (608) 261-5738;
Cell: (608) 658-1890

"All that I care to know is that a man is a human being
--that is enough for me; he can't be any worse."
Mark Twain (1835-1910)