[Chicago-talk] Global variable behavior

Alexander Danel danel at speakeasy.net
Wed Mar 3 19:00:08 PST 2010

Get in the habit of putting the following at the top of every file:

            use strict;

Try it.  It will inform you that you are implicitly doing just what you
claim you are not doing: you have declared (or, as you put it "redeclared")
the variable.  "Use strict" will protest because implicit declarations are
often an accident; which is clearly appropriate for your case.

By the way, I take exception to your statement  ". . . should make it global
across all name spaces."  No such concept exists in Perl.  You declared the
variable to be in the "main" namespace; which you seemingly understood when
you used "$::c", the naked double-colon being an alias for "main::".   The
package "main" is in force until you declare otherwise.

Alexander Danel

  _____