[Chicago-talk] threading Question

Steven Lembark lembark at wrkhors.com
Wed Jan 27 09:11:58 PST 2010

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 10:47:12 -0600
packet <fasteliteprogrammer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does it matter if you have 1 cpu or 4 cpu for programming threads in
> perl and why?
>

> I got 1 cpu on the laptop and 4 cpu on my desktop.Just want to know this
> been bugging me for  abit.:)

Theading with a single CPU is occasionally
useful, mainly if you can use up more of a
timeslice before blocking, say on a some
scheduled I/O.

Aside from that, threading on a single CPU
doesn't really add much -- aside from headaches
and slowdowns from synch-ing the threads.

--
Steven Lembark                                            85-09 90th St.
Workhorse Computing                                 Woodhaven, NY, 11421