[Chicago-talk] Module naming conventions

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Sat Jan 16 02:03:08 PST 2010

Hi Andrew!

On Saturday 16 Jan 2010 04:47:44 Andrew Dougherty wrote:
> I'm getting ready to upload all my modules to CPAN.  There are
> certainly over a thousand of them, I'm not quite sure.  Rather than
> try to figure out what to rename everything to, I plan on just
> uploading to Org::FRDCSA:: and Org::POSIthon::.

Please don't. You should put it under descriptive names under good namespaces,
so they'll have less namespace baggage, be easier to remember and easier to
find.

> Can anyone help me
> through requesting the namespace, and other steps?

You don't need to request a namespace. Just upload the CPAN distribution and
PAUSE will index your Perl packages. None of the namespaces I requested have
been granted yet (though I've inherited a few) and I survived and can still
upload new packages. Regarding the rest of the steps, I've started writing
about it here:

http://www.shlomifish.org/lecture/Perl/Newbies/lecture5/

And you may be able to find other information with web-searching. There is
this book, which is available for free download:

http://www.apress.com/book/view/159059018X

It's a bit outdated, though, but may still be good enough.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish