[Chicago-talk] pass a scalar from procmail to perl?

Mike Fragassi frag at ripco.com
Tue Dec 21 09:09:30 PST 2010

I suspect that $SUBJECT is being passed in as an environment variable.
In other words, it'd be like the difference between these 2 command lines:

    SUBJECT=Foo perl -e 'print $ENV{SUBJECT}'

vs.

    SUBJECT=Foo perl -e 'print $SUBJECT'

So try $ENV{SUBJECT} instead of $SUBJECT.

If that doesn't work, it might be quoting: you may need to use
double-quotes around the command after the -e.

> * ? perl -e 'require "/home/richard/.pmdir/test_subject.pl"; test_subj("$SUBJECT");'

-- Mike F.